Friday, February 17, 2023

Longer Trips - Limitations and Solutions

The biggest issue with the Nissan Leaf is the inability to fast charge it more than twice in a day.  For the standard 40 kWh version, with a range of 220 to 240 km or so, it makes trips exceeding 600 km virtually impossible, and trips between 350 and 600 km  should be carefully planned.

As an example, I do take the Leaf to the cottage successfully, but have an interesting way to accomplish it. The cottage is about 460 km from our home, so I leave Tavistock fully charged, and drive 130 km to my parents for a visit. using the 240 v outlet installed in their garage, I use the Nissan EVSE to charge back up to 100 percent (from 30%) in under four hours. then I depart Toronto for either Peterborough or Norwood, fast charge at a Flo DC charger from 30 to 90 percent in about 40 minutes, and continue to the cottage in Barrys Bay with 15 percent juice remaining. It is a long yet easy drive , with a nice stop in at my parents for a visit, and a nice break when I stop to charge up for the last leg.

The use of the level 2 charger at my parents means the subsequent fast charge in Peterborough is always pretty fast and efficient. Once I arrive at the cottage, I immediately plug the Nissan EVSE into the newly installed outdoor wall outlet, as pictured.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment